Monday, December 13, 2010

Poco


Finally, another album that I can’t stop listening to!  I had picked it out of a couple of boxes that my aunt and uncle were getting rid of.  I hadn’t had a chance to listen to it (my collection is getting rather large), but as time allowed I finally put it on the turntable and haven’t been able to stop listening to it!

The album ‘From the Inside’ was recorded in 1971 by country rock band Poco.  I have a couple of their other albums and actually my favourite was ‘Pickin’ Up the Pieces’ but From the Inside is taking over!

There is a great book you should read by Barney Hoskyns about the Laurel Canyon music scene back in the late 60’s to mid 70’s in LA called ‘Hotel California: Singer-Songwriters and Cocaine Cowboys in the LA Canyons 1967-1976’.

Anyway, the short story of Poco is that a couple of members of Buffalo Springfield, Richie Furay and Jim Messina joined forces and created this band along with Rusty Young and George Grantham (among the others that auditioned but not chosen was Gregg Allman.).  It all sounds so country rock/California-ish.  Which is great if you’re into The Byrds, The Eagles, Poco, Buffalo Springfield and Mason Profit.

If you dig country rock, then you should get your hands on From the Inside and or Pickin' up the Pieces.  One or the other, but preferably both.


No comments:

Post a Comment