Friday, November 12, 2010

A Little Snippet About Me

It all started in my mother’s belly.  I could hear the tunes muttered through her belly wall.  Just as the day I started breathing was the day it was all about the tunes.

My parents always had awesome records playing on the old Marantz turntable until it started collecting dust as compact discs became the new thing.  I dusted that little ditty off and started my own collection (bulk of it was mom and dad’s at that point!).

Time flew on and it was around the middle of 2002 when I watched ‘The Last Waltz’ for the first time.  Man oh man did that film ever change my life.  Every single frame of that film became my life!  I was on a mission to discover music.  Where it came from, how it all began. 

During my research, I found myself driving down to New Jersey, New Hampshire and Woodstock to see the only bits of Levon Helm that were available at the time.  The Levon Helm Blues Band.  The first night that I had ever seen him down in Teaneck, New Jersey was one of the best days of my life.  Backstage mingling with the man himself and the band.

Soon after that I was down in Woodstock every month to volunteer at his brand new Midnight Rambles, crashing in his studio, listening to playbacks of the night’s performance with Levon and his sound engineers.  Life was fucking amazing!  I had seen Levon sing for the very first time after he was diagnosed with throat cancer.

I met all kinds of amazing musician’s, blues legends, ramblers, gamblers, and locals.

After a few months of this I upped and left to the UK for a couple of years.  It was time to move on.

Life in London, in the UK was pretty amazing.  I discovered that the best rock and roll bands came from the UK.  Free tickets to Rolling Stones gigs, running into John Paul Jones, making friends with Corb Lund’s parents, partying at Blue Rodeo’s hotel and meeting all kinds of great folks.  I saw some of the best music in my life over there.

Things were so great over there rock and roll wise that when I had to come back to Canada, to Peterborough, I realized that we were missing it all.  This history, the classics, the stories.

Here I am bringing back the history, the classics and the stories and the just plan love for the best music of all time.

Me and Levon Helm (September 2004) at his property.

No comments:

Post a Comment